Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
April 21, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 71.7.133.156
Old 06-18-2009, 07:19 AM

Default Draft and Tryout Combine Are Back

Quote:
PBL Announces National Tryout Combine in Chicago
June 17, 2009 - Premier Basketball League (PBL)

Chicago, IL...The Premier Basketball League announced today the first National Player Tryout Combine will be held on Saturday August 8, 2009 in Chicago, IL.

The PBL Combine will be held at the famed Attack Athletics facility from 9:00AM to 4:00PM The Attack Athletics Center is a 65,000 sq. ft. facility that boasts 4 NBA sized basketball courts, seating for 1,000 people, a 10,000 sq. ft. weight room, and four locker rooms.

Pre registration is required and players can download the registration form online at www.pblproball.com. The fee is $50.00 USD. Money orders or certified checks should be made out to "Premier Basketball League, Inc." and sent directly to the Premier Basketball League Chicago Office along with the registration form by July 31, 2009 :

Premier Basketball League

4958 West Irving Park Road

Chicago, IL 60641

Players are advised to arrive at 8:00 AM to sign in and warm up. Jerseys will be provided upon arrival. You should have shorts and appropriate shoes with you.

Player agents and professional scouts are welcome at no charge but are asked to e-mail prior so credentials will be ready upon arrival.

The PBL Chicago Combine will be the first of several National Player Combines hosted by the Premier Basketball League, leading to the PBL Lottery Draft held at the ESPN Zone in Chicago in early fall. Twenty-five (25) players will be selected from the tryout camps and brought back to become eligible to be selected by a PBL team. PBL teams will hold a lottery draw before the Draft to slot each club's selection order.

Players included in the PBL Lottery Draft may also be considered for one of the limited League Franchise Player contracts.

"We are looking for the top talent worldwide," said Tom Doyle, President and Chief Executive Office of the Premier Basketball League. " Coaches, scouts and general managers from every PBL team will be in attendance looking for the best talent as they prepare to put together their teams for this upcoming season."

The Attack Athletics Facility is located at 2641 West Harrison Street, Chicago, Illinois 60612.

For Directions to Attack Athletics, visit www.attackathletics.com or call (773) 826-2300.

To download the official registration, go to www.pblproball.com. For additional tryout information please send an e-mail PBLTryouts@aol.com or call (773) 844-PBL1. For further league information, visit www.pblproball.com.
The PBL does a lot of things I think are good, but the tryout combine is not one of them. Did a single player from the tryout last year find their way onto an opening day roster?
  #2   IP: 71.43.66.238
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 AM

There are a couple of people who like to assume this is false (and we all know who they are), but the combine was great for me, and I have no reason to lie. After not getting invited back to the Miners (and thank God for that - none of the players were paid what they were told), I attended the PBL combine, having one team interested in looking at me. I left with three possibilities.

I felt Chicago was the best option, for a variety of reasons. When I found out my wife and I were expecting our first child, I opted to stay home (which was the right choice a million times over), and thus the reason I began working on creating an opportunity to be involved in the basketball world from home (Orlando).

As far as assessing the value of the Combine, it's really a great time, well worth paying the minimal registration fee to get a chance to go head to head with over 100 different aspiring players. You have some important people in attendance, too, so if you play well??? Who knows!

I had fun. In fact, I'm considerring going again just for the sake of being able to compete and have a great, solid day of some good, competitive basketball. No pressure...just want to go out and play. I will likely be there, and bring a couple of TCOB Players with me.

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

Last edited by zeke41; 06-18-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Clarrification
  #3   IP: 208.69.65.156
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to not so fast

Rochester signed Fred Durr from the tryout last year. He played all season, limited minutes.

Battle Creek signed Maurice Smith who played limited minutes as well all season.

But hey, both guys ended up in the finals.

the tryout is not a bad idea. The only mistake last year was over promising players with the draft and all that.
  #4   IP: 71.43.66.238
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Hey NSF...what about that guard from Orlando? I remember the guy...didn't catch his name. He was solid! Did he end up anywhere? I wanted to try and catch up with him, since he's from my neck of the woods.

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

#5   IP: 208.69.65.156
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to not so fast

He went to the aba and played for the chicago steam, then he injured his knee and went back to orlando for surgery and rehab.

Needless to say the aba did not cover his injury!Nor pay him his salary he was promised the entire time he was there.
  #6   IP: 71.43.66.238
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Wow...go figure. I hate hearing stories like that. I'm guessing the Steam promised him a salary that was larger than any PBL team? Surely there were some PBL teams interested in him.

Do you recall his name by chance? He's in Orlando, and would love to see his interest in playing for the Flight. He would be a solid hometown product!

#7   IP: 65.15.211.219
Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHris902 View Post
The PBL does a lot of things I think are good, but the tryout combine is not one of them. Did a single player from the tryout last year find their way onto an opening day roster?
I await anxiously for Ken to pounce......
  #8   IP: 71.7.133.156
Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not so fast View Post
Rochester signed Fred Durr from the tryout last year. He played all season, limited minutes.

Battle Creek signed Maurice Smith who played limited minutes as well all season.

But hey, both guys ended up in the finals.

the tryout is not a bad idea. The only mistake last year was over promising players with the draft and all that.
I think the better idea would be a series of regional trout camps organized by clusters of teams but with all teams invited to attend:
- a Canadian camp in Ottawa or Toronto hosted by Quebec/Halifax
- a New England camp in the Boston area hosted by Vermont/Manchester
- a NY State camp in one of the boroughs hosted by Rochester/Buffalo
etc, etc, etc.

I think you're more likely to get interesting guys if you have a few smaller regional camps rather than one national camp. But I could be wrong.
  #9   IP: 74.235.219.184
Old 06-18-2009, 06:24 PM

That's probably true. Most of the guys at the camp last year were from the Chicago area. Not many basketball hopefuls can pay for a plane ticket, hotel room, and food for the trip.

I just spoke to my wife about it. We're going to make it a family trip. We love Chicago! So long as nothing crazy comes up, I'll be there!

#10   IP: 71.15.24.32
Old 06-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke41 View Post
Wow...go figure. I hate hearing stories like that. I'm guessing the Steam promised him a salary that was larger than any PBL team? Surely there were some PBL teams interested in him.

Do you recall his name by chance? He's in Orlando, and would love to see his interest in playing for the Flight. He would be a solid hometown product!
Anybody reasonably looking at it would have to say that combine and draft were primarily PR initiatives, not truly related to the quality of players at the combine or winning basketball games. I happen to believe there's nothing wrong with that as a marketing effort, even if it looked staged. When it comes right down to it, this is sports entertainment. Some feel like that makes it a lie I know, but if that's the case, you better take a hard look at CNN, Fox News, or even ESPN.